Thursday, October 7, 2010

Image Hoard 1: Man and Other Beasts

I save images, lots of them, like a squirrel hoarding nuts. But I'm also really anal and like to categorise, classify and alphabetise. I can't help it, so I thought I might turn these two potential character flaws to some advantage and provide an outlet for foibles on my blog. This is the first Image Hoard post, where I will provide you with a selection of images, links and whatever I remember about them.  

So here goes "Man and Other Beasts"...

click for a better view

1 - "Madagascar" by Walton Ford, 2002
Watercolour, gouache, ink, and pencil on paper
Walton Fords work is just jaw dropping to me. He does Natural History in a big way: big in size, big in depth and meaning. This painting is of an Elephant Bird, native to Madagascar and extinct by the 17th century. They are believed to have been "over 3 metres tall and weighing close to half a ton". The extinction was almost certainly at the hands of colonial pilgrims.
Wikipedia page on Mr Ford here.

2 - Vintage ring, c.1960, wood and gold
I love jewellery and this lady has interesting taste and access to a lot of money. She buys and sells antique and vintage jewellery. I immediately snapped up this gorgeous ring (in my mind, of course. It's $2,200) as I have a real fancy for natural materials and thought it was most unique.  

3 & 6 - Marios Schwab 
From his Spring 2011 collection shown at London Fashion Week
I can't stand the way the models are styled and the clothes are hit and miss, but when he manages to balance soft, floaty-ness with toughness Marios really gets it right.

4 - "Mallam Mantari Lamal with Mainasara, Nigeria 2005" by Pieter Hugo
From "The Hyena & Other Men" 
When I first saw these images I assumed they had been staged for some underground fashion magazine or ad campaign; they're so cool, yet raw at the same time. Reality is truly stranger than fiction, because Pieter Hugo, SA PhotoJournalist, worked his way into a small group of street performers in Nigeria, who trap and keep Hyenas, monkeys and snakes to do shows with and earn money. Realness.

5 - Random Pic
This photo is a random find with a beauty that transcends its intended use. As I recall, someone wanted to sell a pair of Mountain Goat trophies.

7 - "Obstruct the doors.. Be dangerous" by Craig Ward, Sean Freeman & Alison Carmichael
Laser cut type
I love this retro-futuristic-looking 'calligraffiti', with its movie line brashness and disconnected meaning. It's bold and pretty and pointless.  
Craig Ward's site, Words Are Pictures, is crammed with tasty type for those who are that way inclined. You know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment